Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Long Day

First I had a doctor appointment on Monday. I arrived to find out that I was an hour late, found my card and it was at 8:30 and not 9:30. Getting old really is not much fun sometimes. So I re-scheduled for this morning. Up early for 2 mornings to drive to Edmond. Fasting so that the doctor can take fasting plasma glucose, HDL levels good colesterol levels.

The fasting plasma glucose test was down from 217 to 172. And my A1C levels was down from 6.4 to 6

HDL levels below 40 mg/dL result in an increased risk of coronary atery disease, even in people whose total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels are normal. HDL levels between 40 and 60 mg/dL are considered "normal." However, HDL levels greater than 60 mg/dL may actually protect people from heart disease. My reading came in at 35 mg/dL. So I have something there to work on.

How can We Increase Our HDL Levels?
Aerobic exercise. Many people don't like to hear it, but regular aerobic exercise (any exercise, such as walking, jogging or bike riding, that raises your heart rate for 20 to 30 minutes at a time) may be the most effective way to increase HDL levels. Recent evidence suggests that the duration of exercise, rather than the intensity, is the more important factor in raising HDL cholesterol. But any aerobic exercise helps.

Lose weight. Obesity results not only in increased LDL cholesterol, but also in reduced HDL cholesterol. If you are overweight, reducing your weight should increase your HDL levels. This is especially important if your excess weight is stored in your abdominal area; your weight-to-hip ratio is particularly important in determining whether you ought to concentrate on weight loss.

Then lunch with my daughter. She had to know how my doctor appointment went. So off to Panera Bread for Salad. I had the Fandango and Kimi had the Orchard Harvest. We laughed and had a good time, I am so lucky to have such great girls.

Thinking about my husband has made me a little sad this evening. There is not enough words to express my love for him. I am so grateful for his never-ending patience, love, and support. I feel so blessed to be traveling through this life with him.

No comments: